DEDICATED NEW JERSEY FIRM REPRESENTS INDIVIDUALS HURT IN AUTO ACCIDENTS
After the initial impact of a motor vehicle collision, New Jersey drivers often face the challenge of dealing with insurance companies that prioritize profits over helping people in need. You should not be left to pay the price for another driver's negligence. At the Law Office of Steven Ellman, I represent injured motorists and passengers from every part of New Jersey. Practicing law in my community since 1989, I have helped many residents injured in car accidents to obtain justice for their physical and financial suffering.
DEDICATED PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY FILES CAR ACCIDENT LIABILITY LAWSUITS
Per New Jersey's no-fault system, if you are involved in an accident as a driver, you must file a claim with your own Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance for your medical bills and other qualifying expenses, no matter who caused the accident. However, if you have serious injuries from the accident and another driver was at fault, you may be able to file a third-party claim with that driver's insurance company or to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against him or her.
You are able to go outside of New Jersey's no-fault system if a car accident caused:
- Loss of a limb or other body part
- Significant scarring or disfigurement
- A displaced fracture
- Loss of a fetus
- Permanent injury
For an injury to be considered “permanent” will depend on whether the affected body part is able to regain normal function. When full recovery is not expected, your injury may require a lifetime of physical therapy and other forms of care. In this case, filing a third-party insurance claim or suing could be your best option for covering your costs. An injury can only be labeled “permanent” upon certification from a treating physician who examines the injury. Some types of permanent injuries include organ damage, spinal trauma resulting in nerve damage or paralysis, traumatic brain injury (TBI) and damage to joints such as the knees or shoulder.
TRUSTED NJ CAR ACCIDENT LAWYER BUILDS CASES TO PROVE FAULT
The first step to making a case for compensation from another driver or his insurance company is to show that he was at fault for the accident. Some common examples of fault in car accidents include:
- Distracted driving — Drivers who disobey the law by using a cellphone or another hand-held device may swerve, brake too slowly, miss an important road hazard or create dangerous conditions in other ways. Some other forms of distracted driving include eating, playing with the radio and paying more attention to passengers than to the road.
- Intoxication — Alcohol and drugs can impact a driver's ability to focus and exercise a reasonable standard of care behind the wheel. People who choose to drive after consuming mind-altering substances endanger everyone else on the road.
- Speeding — Even a low-speed crash can cause a serious injury or fatality. Drivers who exceed the speed limit do so at the risk of others, including their own passengers.
- Ignoring traffic signs — When we're on the road, we expect other drivers to stop at red lights, adhere to yield signs and follow other posted warnings meant to keep everyone safe. A person who ignores traffic signs can be considered reckless.
Insurance companies use various tactics to protect their bottom line. To reduce the amount of money they need to pay out, a defendant's insurance company may try to claim that the plaintiff is at least partially at fault for their own injuries. The insurance company will likely hire its own doctor to evaluate an injury and state that it is not permanent.
When an insurer denies your claim or attempts to blame you for a larger share of fault than is justified, I am prepared to take them to court, where a jury can decide who is right. I use available evidence, bring in experts and conduct my own investigations to deliver an aggressive argument on your behalf. I address the jury with a clear and meticulous explanation of why you deserve compensation.
Contact an experienced New Jersey car accident attorney for a free consultation
From the Law Office of Steven Ellman, I represent New Jersey car accident victims in personal injury lawsuits and third-party insurance claims. My clients only pay an attorney fee when I obtain a successful outcome. To schedule your free initial consultation with my office, call (609) 721-7324 or contact me online