New Jersey takes driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs seriously. Facing these charges can have significant consequences for your liberty, your finances, and your ability to drive. If you have been arrested for drunk driving in Perth Amboy, you need a legal advocate to fight for your best interests. DUI defense attorney Steven Ellman has extensive experience getting favorable results for people just like you. Contact the Law Offices of Steven Ellman today for a free consultation.
How to Win a DUI Case in Perth Amboy, New Jersey
A strategic defense can help you minimize the consequences of a DUI charge. A DWI defense lawyer in Perth Amboy may use one or more of these strategies to tackle your case:
- Challenge the reason for the traffic stop – If the officer did not have valid grounds to pull you over in the first place, an attorney can argue that any evidence collected after that point is inadmissible.
- Contest the results of field sobriety tests – These roadside tests are subjective and error-prone. A DUI lawyer can scrutinize the administration of the tests and cast doubt on the results.
- Dispute breathalyzer test results – Breathalyzers can produce inaccurate readings due to improper use, calibration issues, or medical conditions. An experienced lawyer will confer with experts to assess the reliability of your specific test.
- Argue for exclusion of evidence – If there were any procedural errors, like lack of probable cause for your arrest or failure to read your Miranda rights, a lawyer can fight to suppress key evidence.
- Negotiate for reduced charges – DWI lawyers in Perth Amboy can leverage their knowledge of DUI laws to negotiate with prosecutors for lesser charges like reckless driving.
- Present mitigating circumstances – Factors like a clean record and community ties could convince the judge to impose lighter penalties if the charges are not dismissed.
DWI Charges in Perth Amboy, New Jersey
DUI is a traffic violation rather than a criminal offense in New Jersey, but the consequences can be severe. The penalties you face depend on the severity of the violation and whether you have previous convictions.
First-time offenders face a license suspension between three months and one year, a fine of up to $400, and possible jail time of up to 30 days.
Repeat offenders face increased penalties. Second-time offenders will have their license suspended for one to two years, fines between $500 and $1000, and jail time between two and 90 days. You will also need to install an ignition interlock device on your vehicle during your license suspension and after you get it back.
If your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level exceeds 0.15 percent, you caused an accident, or a child was present while you were driving under the influence, you may face aggravated DUI charges. These charges carry harsher sentences, even for first-time offenders. Your license suspension will last up to six months, and your fine may increase to $500. Furthermore, you must install an ignition interlock device in your vehicle.
Our DUI/DWI Lawyer’s Track Record of Success
The Law Offices of Steven Ellman has a reputation for excellence throughout New Jersey. Our track record includes an 80 percent success rate for getting DUI charges dismissed. DWI defense lawyer Steven Ellman excels in arguing for clients to get reduced charges and sentences when dismissals aren’t possible. With the Law Offices of Steven Ellman on your side, you can optimize your chances of a favorable result.
Contact a Perth Amboy, NJ DUI Defense Attorney for a Free Consultation
If you are facing DUI charges in Perth Amboy, you need a lawyer who knows the local courts and can craft a powerful defense on your behalf. A Perth Amboy DUI defense attorney from the Law Offices of Steven Ellman is ready to advocate for your reputation and your liberty. Contact us today for a free consultation.