If you have been accused or arrested on suspicion of DUI/DWI in Gloucester County, NJ, it’s essential to understand the consequences of a conviction and get professional legal help immediately. These charges can lead to fines, license suspension, jail time, and other penalties that can impact your life significantly.
The Law Office of Steven Ellman offers dedicated support to people in positions like yours. Our legal team will tirelessly defend your rights and strive for the best possible results for you. We can review every detail of your DUI charges, advise you on your options, and represent you in court. Contact us today for a free consultation with a Gloucester County DWI attorney.
What to Do After Being Charged With DUI
You can start protecting your legal rights the moment you get stopped by police. First, exercise your right to remain silent. Politely inform the police that you do not intend to discuss your case with anyone but a DUI lawyer.
Next, hire a defense attorney as soon as possible. An experienced DUI/DWI lawyer can guide you through the legal process, uphold your rights, and work toward a favorable outcome for your situation.
Your attorney will review your case, looking for all details and evidence to support your defense. This might include examining the procedures law enforcement used during your arrest and the results of any field sobriety tests they administered. Sometimes, the evidence reveals errors by law enforcement or prosecutors, which could have significant consequences for your case.
Follow any instructions your lawyer gives you and attend all court dates. Being proactive and cooperative during your defense can make a big difference in the outcome of your DUI case.
Gloucester County and New Jersey DUI/DWI Laws
New Jersey has strict driving under the influence (DUI) and driving while intoxicated (DWI) laws. These laws make it illegal to drive with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 percent or higher. For drivers under 21, New Jersey has a zero-tolerance policy. This means any detectable amount of alcohol in a driver’s system can lead to charges if they’re under the legal drinking age.
The penalties for DUI/DWI depend on factors like your BAC level and whether you have previous offenses on your record. Generally, you can expect costly fines, license suspension, installation of an ignition interlock device (IID) on your car, and potential jail time if convicted. Even for a first offense with a BAC above 0.08 percent but less than 0.10 percent, you might get fined and spend up to 30 days in jail, particularly if there are aggravating factors. Higher BAC levels or subsequent offenses lead to harsher penalties.
New Jersey also requires all offenders to attend programs at an Intoxicated Driver Resource Center (IDRC). These programs educate drivers about the risks of drunk driving and substance abuse. You must also pay an annual insurance surcharge after any DUI/DWI conviction.
Potential Outcomes and Consequences
Facing DUI/DWI charges in New Jersey can have long-term ramifications that go beyond the immediate legal penalties. Increased auto insurance costs can strain your finances for years. Additionally, the experience can be a significant personal setback, affecting your relationships and ability to drive. Though DUI is not a criminal offense in New Jersey, it is a traffic violation that shows up on your driving record permanently. If you apply for a job that involves driving, a DWI history could limit your employment prospects.
The good news is that a knowledgeable Gloucester County DWI/DUI lawyer can provide comprehensive support as the case progresses. They can work to prevent you from facing the harshest consequences by assisting you with:
- Dismissals – This is when the court drops your charges entirely. A lawyer can argue for dismissal by highlighting flaws in the evidence or test procedures, like improper breathalyzer test administration.
- Acquittals – An acquittal is when the court finds you not guilty. Your lawyer can argue for an acquittal by showing you were wrongly charged, using evidence to support your innocence.
- Convictions – If found guilty, your lawyer can still help by arguing for lighter penalties based on factors like a clean prior record or other personal circumstances.
Role of a DUI/DWI Lawyer in Gloucester County
A Gloucester County, NJ, DWI attorney is a critical ally if you’re facing impaired driving charges. A lawyer can represent you in court, explain your side of the story, and find ways to present your case favorably. For instance, they might argue that the court should be lenient in sentencing by showing that you are a first-time offender or highlighting other positive aspects of your character.
A DUI lawyer also knows how to find flaws in the prosecution’s case and may move to have certain evidence suppressed. If prosecutors don’t have the evidence to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, they will likely drop the charges against you.
Throughout the process, your lawyer will keep you informed and advise you on the best course of action based on the facts of the case.
DUI/DWI Defense Strategies
Depending on the charges against you, your defense attorney might use defense strategies like:
- Questioning the traffic stop – Your DUI lawyer might argue that police didn’t have a valid reason to stop your car in the first place, rendering any subsequent evidence invalid.
- Challenging the field sobriety test – Your lawyer can question the accuracy of field sobriety tests, which can be influenced by factors like nervousness or medical conditions.
- Scrutinizing breathalyzer test accuracy – Breathalyzer results might be wrong due to improper calibration or use. Lawyers often scrutinize these tests to find possible errors.
- Medical conditions – Certain health conditions can affect breathalyzer test results. Your lawyer can cite proof of any relevant medical issues that might have skewed your test.
Get in Touch with a DWI/DUI Lawyer in Gloucester County
If you’re facing DUI/DWI charges in Gloucester County, New Jersey, don’t wait to get the support you need. Contact The Law Office of Steven Ellman today for a free consultation. Our team is ready to listen to your story, analyze your situation, and provide the guidance and representation you deserve.